Monday, July 18, 2011

Sleep is important

I love to use the Stumble! tool bar. Today I was using it and came across this site: The Idea Swap

It is a very entertaining site where you can submit your ideas. I submitted the following one:

Allow for nap time even in our adult lives. At work or in college. Sleep is so important and so many people suffer from lack of it.



I think nap time is an awesome idea. I remember when I was in middle school and I would die of sleep. I had the idea that there should be a nap time club. Obviously, having a group of hormonal teenagers napping together can pose some problems. But either way it is a good idea. If we incorporated a 15 minute nap time into our lunch time at work we would feel amazing and re-energized.


The Harvard Women’s Health Watch suggests six reasons to get enough sleep:

1- Learning and memory: Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory through a process called memory consolidation. In studies, people who’d slept after learning a task did better on tests later.

2- Metabolism and weight: Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates, and by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite.

3- Safety: Sleep debt contributes to a greater tendency to fall asleep during the daytime. These lapses may cause falls and mistakes such as medical errors, air traffic mishaps, and road accidents.

4- Mood: Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness. Too little sleep can also leave you too tired to do the things you like to do.

5- Cardiovascular health: Serious sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, increased stress hormone levels, and irregular heartbeat.

6- Disease: Sleep deprivation alters immune function, including the activity of the body’s killer cells. Keeping up with sleep may also help fight cancer.

So now you know the importance of sleep!

1 comment:

  1. I love sleeping - but can't nap. I feel sick after it. So I just stick to 7-8 hours sleep at night. I really do get moody without it!!

    ReplyDelete